Bradley

Bradley is situated on the eastern shore of the Penobscot River, north of Bangor. The town was settled in the nineteenth century, and because of the abundance of streams running through the town, became the site of a number of mills for manufacturing. Incorporated February 3,1835, Bradley is situated on the eastern shore of the Penobscot River, north of Bangor. Originally known as township No. 4, or the Old Indian Purchase, the town was settled in the nineteenth century and, because of the abundance of streams running through the town, became the site of a number of mills for manufacturing. The section of the town away from the Penobscot River is still mostly forest while land along the river remains the most popular area for residential development. For a historical perspective of the old lumber mill methods, Bradley hosts Leonard's Mills, a museum supported by the University of Maine System. The section of the town away from the Penobscot River is still mostly forest, while land along the river remains the most popular area for residential development.