Located fourteen miles west of Bangor, the town was settled after the American Revolution (in 1811). The town offers "small town" beauty, with quick and direct access to the City of Bangor.
Carmel has a golf course, fine restaurants, grocers, and many professional-sector businesses.
Incorporated February 21, 1811. Carmel is situated fourteen miles west of Bangor, via Union Street which intersects with U.S. Route 2 within the town's limits. The town was previously known as Plantation No. 3 Second Range and, like many of the smaller town's in the area, was permanently settled after the American Revolution.