collaboration offers the opportunity to use public, private and nonprofit
resources more effectively, but Maineâ€™s long tradition of local control places
a high value on local-decision making. Still, the possibilities for
regionalization remain tantalizing. To that end, the Chamber supports:
- A continued emphasis on regional, public-private economic development
efforts, including the creation of a shared vision among those entities looking
to grow the economy of the Bangor Region.
- Further collaboration among higher education institutions in our region.
- Cooperative efforts among regional health care providers to improve quality
and cuts costs through the Bangor Beacon and the resulting accountable
care organization, including furthering community and workplace wellness.
- Efforts by local governments to seek collaborations, affiliations, and where
feasible, consolidation of services â€“ even those services seen as the
traditional province of municipalities.
- An awareness and discussion of the impacts of substance abuse and the crime that surrounds it with eye toward solutions with a practical positive impact on the region.
Research and Development / Commercialization