What you can learn from our planning session (and Scooby snacks)
It’s not always easy to break away from your normal busy routine, deadlines and demands to step back, step out and plan for the future. But, that is what we did at the Chamber this week. We gathered as a team to discuss our events and plans for 2018, including getting everything on the calendar. In a busy environment such as ours, we decided that the only way we could all focus on this conversation was to close the doors and plan several hours to only focus on this conversation.
One by one we reviewed all of our events from “Business After Hours” to “Hot Stove”, “Annual Dinner”, “Chamber Challenge Golf Tournament” “Success Seminars” and more. We organize more than 50 events annually for our members and we discussed what is working, what is not, what to change-up, what we should stop doing and what we should do more of.
Every member of the team participated and provided input, perspective and ideas. We left the meeting with a plan and strategy for 2018 that we all feel excited about!
Now is the time for you to take the time to plan for your 2018! Here is what worked for us, that might work for you.
- Schedule the time for planning and stick to the start and end time
- Let your staff know in advance what will be discussed so they can come prepared with ideas and input
- Limit interruptions by closing your doors or hold the meeting off site
- Give everyone the opportunity to participate
- Encourage honest feedback and conversation
- Provide snacks – snacks are good!