Curran Homestead Village in Orrington Providing Hands-On Learning Opportunities for All Ages
Starting Tuesday, September 26, 6-9PM, Six Weeks of Beginning Blacksmithing Class, Tuesdays and Thursday Evenings, at 19th Century Curran Homestead Village, 372 Fields Pond Rd., Orrington, ME 04474.
The class covers all the basics of coal fired forging including safety, tools and materials, heating, bending, piercing, and forming steel objects. Our blacksmithing instructor Dwight King engages each student for the purpose of acquiring the foundational skills to meet ever greater challenges in forging metal objects with a coal fire. Students will start off with small projects and build on their knowledge with a variety of hooks, a nail, spoon, tool making, i.e. a drift and chisel, and be introduced to forge welding. Time permitting, students may forge a knife blade.
- Cost: $395, tools and materials provided.
- Students required to supply their own 2lb. hammer.
- Registration is required and is first come, first serve by cash, check payable to “The Curran Homestead” or credit card (MasterCard & Visa only).
- Call: Irv Marsters, 745-4426, or email: email@example.com
Additionally, there will be a series of workshops for kids and adults (content appropriate for all) in the months of September and October at Curran Homestead Village including:
- Sat., Sept. 30, 10-4: a Metal Casting Class (Ages 14 and Above): Make an 8-inch Bell!
- Sat., Sept. 30, 10-3. Learning About Electric: Make an Electric Lamp from Scratch for Kids Ages 9 and Above.
- Sat., Oct. 7, 10-3, Electronics Meets Old School Telegraphs: Make a Morse Code Telegraph Sounder (Ages 11 and Above). Learn to solder wires on a circuit board and create a functioning telegraph key. We will also explore Morse code.
- Sat., Oct. 28, 10-3. Make a Wooden Bench Seat Using Hand Tools (Ages 10 and Above).
- Sat., Nov. 4, 10-3. Fiber Arts: Weaving for Ages 8 and Above.
See workshop details and cost on website: curranhomestead.org or call for details: 207-205-4849 or 207-745-4426. Pay to register. Class size limited.